NGER Compliance – What is it?
The National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007 (NGER Act) was introduced to provide a formal mechanism for Australian companies to audit and report annual greenhouse gas emissions as well as energy consumption and production.
What do I need to do?
It is your responsibility as a corporation to report under the NGER scheme if your total greenhouse gas emission or energy production/energy consumption exceed thresholds as defined by the Clean Energy Regulator. Significant financial penalties apply for non-compliance. You need to be aware that August 31 is the deadline for registration and NGER reports are due by 31 October.
- 1 July to 30 June – NGER scheme reporting year
- 31 August – NGER registration applications are due (corporations only need to register once, for the first year they trigger a threshold)
- 31 October – NGER reports are due
- 28 February – Publication of an extract of the NGER register and data for the previous reporting period
What can we do for you?Katestone can take the hassle and complexity out of NGER reporting for your company.
Our team of highly trained engineers and scientists can help your organisation determine and fulfill its obligations under NGER legislation. To make your job easier, we’ll help obtain the data, organise it efficiently, and independently verify its technical accuracy.
- If you are unsure of your reporting obligations we can assist you to conduct an initial assessment to indicate your likely reporting responsibilities.
- We can work with you to determine your greenhouse gas and energy inventory and prepare your NGER report.
- NGER requirements and available methods for determining emissions are regularly updated, we can quickly advise you on developments relevant to your operations and their potential implications.
- We can also offer assistance in review of existing reporting and identifying areas of opportunity. For example utilising more detailed calculation methods may immediately reduce your carbon inventory.
- For advanced reporters, we can offer strategic guidance in procuring and implementing data systems, structuring abatement programs and carbon risk management strategies.
- We offer pre-audit reviews, peer reviews and independent verification – scoped to your organisation’s needs.
Katestone’s NGER consultants have specialist skills across a broad range of industries including mining, oil and gas, heavy industry, thermal generation, landfill, transport and agriculture. You and your organisation can rest assured that your report meets the Act’s requirements and will withstand audit.
Ask us an obligation-free question using the form below.
Get in touch for assistance with your emissions reporting obligations.